Nicosia Municipality - Town Hall History
Town Hall History

Town Hall History


The first municipal offices were housed in the house of Chariklia Argirides in an area called Nea Agora (New Market). In 1897 the municipal offices moved to Ledra Street at the house of Efrosini Tarsi and then moved to the “ Kampia tou Efklidi” Eyklides yard, which was since then called Municipality Square, on the site of the present central municipal market.

In 1944 they were moved, temporarily, to the building that had housed the Luna Park cabaret on the Davila bastion. In 1951 it was renovated to house the municipal offices permanently. The Hadjisavva opening renamed Metaxas Square was increasingly perceived as the town centre.