Nicosia Municipality - Pancyprian Gymnasium
Pancyprian Gymnasium

Pancyprian Gymnasium


The Pancyprian Gymnasium (Παγκύπριο Γυμνάσιο) was founded in 1812 by Archbishop Kyprianos at a time when Cyprus was still under Ottoman rule. It was originally called the Hellenic School (Ελληνική Σχολή) and is the oldest high school still in operation on the island. The school was expanded in 1893 to incorporate a lyceum when Cyprus was under British rule and changed its name to its current one in 1896. In tribute to the school's contribution to education the Cyprus Post office issued a commemorative stamp in 1993.